As Benjamin Franklin once said, “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy” — a mantra that should be followed to the utmost high, especially with the warm summer months finally upon us. Now, you may be thinking, which beers are the best for my upcoming darty*? Leave it to TwentyTweets to come through in the clutch. Here are five summery beers to try– just in time for the first warm-weather drinking celebration: Cinco de Mayo!
*darty (noun) dar-tee: day+party; anything that has to do with drinking while the sun is still shining, mostly done outdoors. Also see dartying (verb): to darty.
- Samuel Adams Summer Ale– An obvious choice, with the word “summer” right in its name. According to the website, it is described as, “crisp and tangy with refreshing lemon peel and a hint of pepper from rare Grains of Paradise. Golden, hazy, and thirst quenching; this American wheat ale balances bright citrus, Noble hops, and spice for a lively brew that’s perfect on any summer day.” This seasonal brew leaves me craving for it all winter but when it becomes available every year, usually mid-April, happiness floods my body!
- Grey Sail Flapship Ale– Although this brew is available year-round, it will fit right in at your next summer barbeque. Brewed right around the corner from me in Westerly, RI, this beer might not be the most well-known, but it deserves to be. I tried it recently and was instantly hooked! It is described as, “a golden-colored cream ale..with a great balance between malty-sweetness and Noble hop bitterness.” It is definitely worth a try!
- Curious Traveler Shandy– If you love the refreshing taste of lemonade, this is the brew for you. It is kind of sweet, but not too overpowering. It’s a pale color like the other beers on this list, but with a taste all its own. Described as an “intriguing fellow,” the Curious Traveler includes malted barley and wheat, and fresh lemon and lime flavors. A definite go to if your thirst needs a major quenching!
- Magic Hat Honey Wheat IPA– A magically delectable seasonal brew– this beer is “wicked good,” according to its description on the website (and it’s actually spot on). It includes the “natural sweetness of fresh honey,” and is “inspired by a tasty triumvirate of styles…a true triple threat and the perfect beer for buzzing through summer nights.” You’ll most definitely be buzzing after a couple of these, but you won’t regret it!
- Blue Moon Belgian White Ale– Available all year, this brew is an absolute classic that would have to make any summer-beer-drinking list. It includes oats and wheat to create the smooth, creamy finish, and the first brew, created by brewmaster Keith Villa, included a Valencia orange peel. Top that baby off with an orange slice and you’ll be good to go. Yum!
It might be hard to choose just one of these awesome beers, but that’s why there are so many months of summer. Let us know which you like best and if there are any that we missed, either down below in comments or @20sTweet!
And of course– drink responsibly!