Yesterday, I shared one of the most noteworthy changes to my diet with all of you. I started adding flax meal to my diet about two months ago. With one look at the label, the nutritional benefits are obvious. But you might be wondering… do I feel any different?
The answer to that question is YES! This doesn’t mean that flaxseed is the right supplement for everyone, but personally, I’m more than happy with the tiny investment that I made. You see, regulating my digestive system has been an ongoing battle for me. Within the past two months, I can honestly tell you that my sensitive stomach is finally starting to calm down. It is such a relief. Not only that, but I’ve found a way to curb my mid-morning hunger with the help of these tiny seeds! I told you yesterday that I would share my favorite way to ingest my flax meal. Here it is — my breakfast shake:
- 1/2 cup of cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of Natural Brand Super Flax Meal
- 1 scoop of Designer Whey Protein Powder in Vanilla Bean (As seen on NBC’s The Biggest Loser)
- 2 blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
Add all ingredients to a blender, blend, and pour. I make this shake first thing in the morning and drink it as I get ready for work. It’s quick, easy, and tastes great. Now, it wouldn’t be fair for me to take credit for this recipe… My mom actually gave it to me. The exact measurements of this recipe are important for a number of reasons:
- A whole cup of cranberry juice is too many calories. Hence, use half a cup of juice and a half a cup of water.
- Starting your day off with a scoop of protein powder will help to curb your appetite until lunch time. Mid-morning snacks? A thing of the past for me. Please note: You don’t have to use The Biggest Loser protein, or any protein at all for that matter. But it’s low-calorie and tastes good. So why not? Contrary to many people’s beliefs, adding a little protein to your diet isn’t going to make you gain weight if you’re still dieting and exercising the same. Make sure it’s a low-cal powder, and you’ll actually be happy with the amount of extra energy that you have.
- Use fresh fruit if you’d like, but be sure to add some ice cubes. If you’re like me and want to make the fruit last longer, freeze it whole and then add one or two to the mix. The frozen fruit takes the place of the ice cubes, and adds a few more antioxidants to your already super-shake.
Between the extra protein and the flaxseed, it’s amazing how different my body truly feels. I told you that this is the most noteworthy change to my diet, and it’s true. One simple shake… that’s all it takes. I’ve never been able to feel results like this before. Plus, knowing that it’s doing my body some good makes it worth it.
Are you a fan of flaxseed? What about protein shakes? Share below or @20sTweet!