I was thrown back into reality so quickly after my vacation (literally had 1 hour of sleep the night I got home before I had to go back to work…fail) that I haven’t had a minute to sit down. But I decided to lay low tonight…so here I am!
My little get away was the second that my boyfriend and I have spent together. Although we went to the same location in Riviera Maya, Mexico (a blog post to come, LOVED IT), I definitely feel that even over a year, I was able to enjoy it so much more. I was still in the “oh-my-God-I’m-so-cool-I’m-a-Senior-in-college” mode during our first trip, so I don’t feel like I completely appreciated it. This time, I definitely got the most out of all of the sun, booze, culture, history, and lovin’ that we were able to share with each other.
During a few chilly Coronas with lime, I came up with a few tips for twenty-somethings who are planning their first get away with a significant other or are like me and want to make the absolute best of their second, third, or twentieth couples adventure.
- Go All-Inclusive…or Bust. We were lucky enough to find a great deal from a website called CheapCaribbean.com. The site includes airfare, hotel, and transportation to all of its clients. The hotel where we stayed was all-inclusive, which means all food and drink are included. Keep your wallet slim and have a completely worry-free time at a resort that covers it all in one price.
- Do not…I repeat..Do not bring your laptop. This was actually a huge issue for me during the days leading up to my departure. I know, it sounds so lame, but as such a social media
crazy-personaficionado, I didn’t think I would survive. I don’t know about you, but especially on a couples-only vaca, the whole point is to savor each other’s company, right? Double points if you go somewhere that you don’t get cell reception (even though I did connect to WiFi a couple times. See “Me Time” below).
- Learn to compromise. It sounds obvious but sometimes it can be the hardest thing to do. Compromising can be as easy as waking up early to save a good spot on the beach if you’re a morning person, while letting your significant other snooze a little longer. Or even going for a dip in the pool when the ocean is only a stone’s throw away because your S.O. loves pools (and you skeeve them sometimes…like me). Little gestures like this can go a long way, believe me!
- Get over the awkward “bathroom” talk. I’ll say it. We all poop. Whether or not you’re open about this with your S.O. depends on a bunch of things, but if you’re ready to go on a vacation with this person and most likely stay in a hotel room (with one bathroom), you’re going to have to “go.” Nature will definitely call. I’m not saying you have to make it a huge spectacle, but don’t be toilet shy. You’ll only end up constipated and uncomfortable. No one wants that, especially when you’ll be in a bikini (or a Speedo…maybe)!
- Love each other… 99.9% of the time. What do you do during the other .1%? Give yourself me time. This is probably one of the most important tips I can give you. You clearly LOVE your S.O., but even the most perfect relationships take work and sometimes that means getting yourself to a peaceful place. So each day, take out 30 minutes or so to do something for you. Hit the hotel’s gym, grab a coffee solo (and bring your slumbering girlfriend a coffee for when she wakes up…hint hint ;)), or even connect to that free WiFi in the lobby. Like I said, keep this time minimal, but definitely get those few minutes to yourself and the rest of the time with your S.O. will be that much more perfect.
- TAKE NAPS. Okay, I just decided THIS was the most important rule, especially for people like me. Sleep can make or break me in very drastic ways. I’m going to assume your S.O.vaca will include sun and booze (my two favorite things), but those both take a huge toll…especially when they go hand in hand. If you spend half of the day sunning yourselves, day drinking, and frolicking throughout the resort, you will need an hour or so to recharge. I promise you won’t miss out on anything during that hour and you will be ready for an eventful night. Plus, a little afternoon pre-nap snuggle could lead to some pre-nap fun. 😉
Are you ready to plan your first couples’ vacation? Or do you have any tips to share? Let us know @20sTweet.
P.S.–I missed you guys. So happy to be back. 🙂