So the ladies and I got together last night to eat, drink, and discuss TwentyTweets-ish things. We decided upon a taco themed night, so we obviously had to come up with the best beverage to go along with it. Since I’m basically a cordial connoisseur, leave anything alcoholic to me (just kidding… kind of). That being said, I decided it would be fun to make our own mojitos. Fitting, right?
After a quick Google search, the recipe was in my possession. It was way easier than I thought, too. I’m pretty culinarily challenged (I can make pasta, frozen pizza, and love beer… a.k.a the easiest things possible), so I was worried that the recipe would call for some high intensity mixing or something… But I was fortunately mistaken! Here’s what you will need:
(Hint: this is for one serving… so multiply for the number of friends drinking and how many you plan on having )
- 10-12 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (more or less depending on how sweet you’d like it to be. Erika and I only used 1)
- Ice (2-3 cubes per glass will suffice)
- 1 shot of white rum (we used Bacardi Superior)
- 1/2 cup of club soda (we found a Mint Mojito flavor, but plain works too!)
Now that you have all of the ingredients, here comes the fun part. Time to make your first mojito! We free styled this part, so feel free to add your own flair as well.
- Place the mint leaves, sugar, and chopped up lime slices in a tall glass.
- Using a pestle, wooden spoon, or other similar kitchen instrument (we used a measuring spoon!), muddle the ingredients so the natural oils from the mint, sugar, and lime creates a nice mixture at the bottom of the glass.
- Add ice cubes.
- Add rum (more or less depending on how frisky you feel)
- Top off your glass with the club soda
- Add sugar to desired sweetness (if necessary!)
- Garnish with lime/mint leaves.
Voila! Your delicious mojito is complete.
Here’s a fun fact: “mojito” actually comes from the African word “mojo” which means spell. So after a couple of these, you might be under a little spell yourself. Or maybe you have a little love spell in mind? Either way, it will ensure some fun! We certainly enjoyed ours. So girls…When’s the next mojito night?!
Let us know how you made yours! Enjoy!!